1 cup rice
1 cup millet
1 cup quinoa
Rinse and drain all grains and nuts/seeds in a fine strainer. Toast grains (millet, rice, quinoa) in one of two ways:
- Preheat oven to 350 F. Spread grains on a cookie sheet and toast in oven until they give off a nutty aroma (12-15 minutes).
- Place washed grains in a large skillet on burner and toast on medium heat, stirring constantly, until grains give off a nutty aroma (5 – 8 minutes).
- Let toasted grains cool and store in sealed container. You can toast a big batch of several different grains at one time and store them in separate jars.
- For the best nutrition, grind grains just prior to using in a small electric grinder or food processor. Once a grain is ground, it begins to lose nutritional value within 24 to 48 hours. Store the whole toasted grains in labeled, sealed containers and grind the amount you need before cooking.
- To cook ground grains into cereal use ⅓ cup ground cereal and 1 cup water per person. Combine cereal and water in a pot; bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer, covered, for 10-12 minutes.
- Top plain cooked cereal with a little maple syrup, nut or rice milk and fruit.